Thursday, August 20, 2009

What i love most about my children


What I love most about my children,

What I love most about my children is what they care about and what they don’t:
They don’t care about the car I drive or how much money we make
They don’t care who I was in high school or the mistakes I have made
They don’t care if I don’t wear makeup or I am a few pounds overweight

What they do care about is me
They care that they are cherished and understood
They care that they are warm and welcomed
And they care that they have someone who loves them back

What makes me sad is how the moments that mean the most are often the ones we let slip away
The hugs and kisses and adventures and cardboard forts
The trips outside the games played on living room rugs
The sweet sound of a newborn breathing
The innocent but sweet voice of a toddler full of self expression
These are all thing we should cherish yet we tend to associate them with the mundane
We take for granted that there will be a tomorrow, that we will have another chance to do what we should have done today
As a mother my greatest fear is losing my children, they are the dedicated force that drives my existence
A job that I was given to form and create and to nurture and teach
Who am I without them? They are a reflection of who I am while shinning as their own persons
Isn’t that the goal? To create passionate capable empathetic human beings?
To wonder whether the soft hand of my infant will someday be of use, will it be used to heal, or to fight, will it be covered in ink or in calluses? What we do every day, so called mundane is to shape the future and to provide memories and knowledge. So it is our goal our greatest achievement in life to create and mold the ones who will lead us into tomorrow. After all they are the ones who will be here once we are gone
They are depending on us, and I must never lose sight of that. Because not only do they depend on us but the world depends on us, the world depends on us to create the next generation of leaders and artists and scientist. Of lovers and warriors and spiritual guides.
For every great person is someone’s baby
So this is the task we are given as mothers, a job that is both easy and yet indescribably hard. Impossible and doable beautiful and tragic.
We pour ourselves into them in the hope that they will take what is best about us and learn from what is flawed and become better than we could ever have dreamed.
If someone had given me this job description, the one that is a mother before I had children I would have scoffed, I would have laughed and brushed it off, but the unsung hero’s of the earth are the mothers. Anyone can have a child but few can really be a mother.
Because what really matters is that when tomorrow become yesterday and next week become last year we have done all we can. Because that is all we can do, we can be a Mom to someone and pray we are doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment