Friday, August 21, 2009

Moms are special people

REBA MCENTIRE.......(im a survivor)

"I was born three months too early
The doctor gave me thirty days
But I must've had my mama's will And God's amazing grace
I guess I'll keep on livin'
Even if this love's to die for
'Cause your bags are packed and I ain't cryin
' You're walkin' out and I'm not trying To change your mind
'cause I was born to be

Chorus: The baby girl without a chance A victim of circumstance The one who oughta give up, but she's just Too hard headed A single mom who works two jobs Who loves her kids and never stops With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter I'm a survivor

I don't believe in self-pity
It only brings you down
May be the queen of broken hearts
But I don't hide behind the crown
When the deck is stacked against me I just play a different game
My roots are planted in the past
And though my life is changin' fast
Who I am is who I wanna be

Repeat Chorus A single mom who works two jobs Who loves her kids and never stops With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter I'm a survivor But I must've had my mama's will And God's amazing grace "
- photo of my Mom and I-



I get goosebumps every time I here this song.... I think of my mom, she raised us alone and worked three jobs to give us what we needed and wanted.
As mothers we unknowingly sign a contract the minutes we get pregnant to put our children ahead of ourselves.
In pregnancy we strive to eat well, not drink or smoke and overall take better care of ourselves for the sake of our unborn baby. Then after the birth you surrender your ENTIRE life to the well being of a small creature who is demanding and tedious. But we love them, I think we are wired to love them.
If someone were to tell you that in nine months an alien new to this planet would some into your house and demand all of your time, energy and resources you would probably call the FBI and have them ready with a SWAT team! But we willingly make preparations for the coming of these new little people. We dream of the colors of their nursery to playing in the park and going on first dates. We pick their names fold their onsies and buy them ever single item available to make raising a baby easier and more comfortable. (seriously do you REALLY need 2 wipe warmers in the house??)

And as they grow we give them not only time and resources but our knowledge and wisdom as well,
Like I said in my last post we strive to raise these children of ours to be confident competent adult and take the best of ourselves and give it to them and try to keep the worst away from them.

Dads are great to dont get me wrong but there is just something spectacular about a mother.

OK now launching off into a JMO- I have always wondered why it is that Mothers are automatically in our culture given the brunt of the child raising responsibilities, such as when a Dad watches his kids its "baby sitting" yet a mother is expected to watch them. And when sadly a couple divorces 9 times out of 10 the mother is expected to take the children and raise them herself. While the husband is allowed to roam free of his responsibilities minus child support and bi weekly visits. I think it all comes down to the fact that we as mothers are just plain better at it.
An example of this is my husband, who God bless him tries very hard, but just does not get it. He could sleep through a category 5 hurricane and not bat and eye, yet I wake if my baby sneezes, sighs, rolls around, or whimpers... Even in the next room! I even karate chopped my husband once for almost rolling on our infant, seriously from a deep sleep I awoke and bam chop to the head! lol He calls it my "mommy sense" and knows that when it tingles we should listen to it!

Ok back to the topic,
We as mothers need to give ourselves a quick break, know that you are doing the best with what you have and unlike the books magazines and other play group moms would have you believing we all try to make it day to day minute to minute. We all get frustrated and sad, depressed and exhilarated. Shit why skydive when you can just have kids! You get all the emotions with less danger of head splatting!
I just want all moms to know that even if you are not the same as each other we share a common bond, a band of mothers who joined a sacred club the moment they peed on the stick. We can make jokes to each other about almost anything baby related and get it, when our none baby friends may look at us like we are alien, and we just plain understand each other.

Speaking of non baby friends when was the last time you had a conversation not involving your kids? and do they ever get that deer in the headlights look when you bring up potty training or blow outs for the umpteenth time? Ah yes this is why we need like minded mommies friends to listen to our ranting of onsies and stretch marks, skinned knees and make believe.

Because again when you signed that contract, when you became a mother you gave up a piece of you to give to them, Will you ever get it back? probably not, but hey thats A ok with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment